Excerpts from a talk presented by John Sherwell at Cox’s Close
Stapleford Flower Show was first held in 1888, with the Centenary celebrated in 1988. It was also called the Stapleford Flower Show and Fete as more stalls and other activities were introduced.
1972 – was combined with the Stapleford Gala. The Gala brought floats, parades and more entertainment. It was organised by separate subcommittees, with an Executive Committee overseeing.
1973 – The Committee considered some interesting and some frankly unrealistic activities:
- Car dismantling competition using a Ford Escort
- Women’s gymnastics
- Model aircraft display
- Dagenham Girl Pipers and Drum Majorettes
- Hovercraft rides
- Helicopter flights
- Hiring an elephant
- Demonstration of sheep shearing
1977 – the Gala was not held, and the Flower Show was moved to the School Hall
1979 – the Gala resurfaces!
1987 – one male competitor complained about his prize of cosmetics for the Fruit & Vegetable category. The Committee felt the prize would have been more appropriate for the Home Produce of Flower Arranging classes.
1988– A special edition of the Flower Show for the centenary year.
1990 -Still a combined Flower Show and Gala, but it was decided to move to the School Hall because of the increasing cost of marquee hire.
1993 – Because of a lack of Officers and Committee members, it was decided not to hold the Flower Show and Gala
1994 – The Flower Show and Gala resumes
1995 onwards – no evidence of Gala being held
1998 – name changed to Stapleford Village Show
2000 – Back in a marquee on the Rec for the Millennium celebrations
- Minutes of Flower Show/Village Show: Jan 1967 to June 1990. Mostly complete.
- Financial Statements: 1967 – 1991, 1994, 1996 – 2001
- Show schedules: 1968 – 1998
- Reports and lists of Cup Winners: 1968 – 2000, incomplete
- Two early press cuttings, one 1968 the other undated
- One poster with recollections by Mary Northfield and 3 photos